Here are 13 questions I get asked a lot by fans all over the world.
It has always been my dream to play football at the highest level. But I couldn’t have been standing where I am today without the support of my fans. So the least I can do is give you a glimpse of what life as a pro looks like.
- When was the first time you dreamed about becoming a professional goalkeeper? As a kid, I enjoyed playing football with close friends and neighbors. One time, I participated in a local football competition. I received my first election as Best Goalkeeper there, which made me pursue my dream.
- Who was your favorite goalkeeper growing up? Both Iker Casillas and Edwin van der Sar are two of my biggest inspirations. I always loved watching them and even tried to copy their moves when I was younger.
- If you hadn’t been a professional goalkeeper, what other career paths would you’ve liked to pursue? Sports have always played a major part in my life. My whole family is into volleyball, for example. I could see myself being a physiotherapist like my mom, or a gym teacher at a local school. That way, I could encourage kids to exercise more.
- How does your life look like when you’re not on the field? When I’m not preparing for the next match, I want to spend as much time as possible with my kids & family. My parents, brother, and sister try to visit me a few times a month, and I also enjoy playing online games or watching series in my spare time.
- What are your favorite TV series at the moment? There are some great Spanish series out there, like Casa Del Papel or Elite. An all-time favorite would be Prison Break, but if you’re more into documentaries, I’d recommend Drive to Survive. For Formula 1 fans it’s cool to see what’s going on behind the scenes.
- How did you feel when Real Madrid asked you to play for them? Like you’re on top of the world. It’s an indescribable feeling to be asked to join the best team out there. I couldn’t believe it at first and still am proud to play wearing the Real Madrid shirt.
- What has been your best moment in the Real Madrid jersey so far? Bringing home the Spanish Super Cup was one of the best team moments. But winning the El Clàsico at the Bernabéu was a pretty close second. I can’t wait to add more victories to the list playing for Real Madrid.
- What’s your favorite save as a goalkeeper so far? One save I will never forget, is the one against Neymar at the World Cup in 2018. That fight against Brazil was a well-deserved win that pushed Belgium to the semi-finals and set our country on fire.
- If you weren’t to be a goalkeeper, what position would you like to play? Growing up I played as a left-back. But after that header facing Valencia, maybe I could be a striker too… ;-)
- What are your top three defenders? That would be Ramos, Kompany & Terry. But there are 11 players on the field. In every great game, you attack and defend as a united team.
- What are your favorite sports besides football? I closely follow the NBA and Formula 1 competitions. Especially seeing a match from Luka Doncic or race featuring Michael Schumacher is making me appreciating sports even more.
- What’s the best advice you could give to future goalies? Talent isn’t all there is to become a professional goalkeeper. For me, hard work and believing in yourself is what makes a good player stand out from a great one. Show that you’re motivated and determined to be the best, and you’ll achieve your biggest goals.
- Why is wearing number 13 special to you? I was first given the 13 at Atlético Madrid at the time. Since then, I won quite a few trophies with that number. Now, the 13 has turned into my lucky number. I’m not sure if I would ever want to change it, although the 1 is also quite special to play with.
Keep posted to my Facebook, Twitter & Instagram channels to ask yours soon.